OPERS Fall Festival (3:00 pm)
This resource fair is held annually on the Tuesday preceding the first day of instruction (traditionally a Thursday) for Fall Quarter. It is usually held on the Upper East Field, however, this year the field will be closed due to drought conditions. The event will be reduced in scope and held in the East Field House complex and the Upper Parking Lot #103. The primary target audience for attendees is new students to UCSC - incoming freshman, transfer students, and new graduate students. However, all students are welcome. Admission is free. The purpose is to showcase the wide array of student organizations and campus offices who provide direct services to UCSC students. The following UCSC affiliated groups are eligible to register for a table:
- All OPERS programs
- SOAR student organizations - must be currently registered and in good standing during Spring Quarter preceding the Fall Festival.
- Other official student organizations sponsored by a UCSC college or Academic Department
- All Campus Life and Student Affairs offices
- Other UCSC departments that provide direct services to students.
The contact person for each group must be one of the following:
- A current UCSC student who is a member of the organization.
- A current UCSC staff or faculty who oversees the program or group.
Non-UCSC vendors or groups are not eligible to register for a table.
All participants in the Fall Festival must be registered.
Fall Festival Participant Guidelines:
All participants are expected to behave with civility and appropriate conduct. This means, creating and fostering a community that is safe and as welcoming as possible to each individual.
This is a ZERO WASTE event
- No Bottled Water - do not bring cases of bottled water. There are water fountains and stations available. BRING YOUR OWN WATER BOTTLE TO REFILL.
- Re-use Cardboard Boxes - please consider bringing your supplies in a reusable container such as a crate or large canvas bag. If you bring it in a cardboard box, save it and reuse it. If you must recycle, please break it down and deliver to the cardboard recycling location.
- Give-Aways - if you are planning to promote your group by giving away an item, try to think of something that does not produce a lot of garbage. An ice cream bar that is individually packaged in a wrapper AND a box AND is on a stick produces a lot of garbage. Whereas a promotional pen is something that will be used.
- Reduce Paper - please consider handing out flyers on ¼ sheets of paper, rather than an entire 8 ½ x 11 or half sheet. . Handing out flyers along walking paths is not allowed.
- No Balloons - After an event, they become garbage that is not biodegradable and never goes away. They often float away and the small pieces of rubber become litter in the natural environment. Flags and banners that can be reused are encouraged.
Setting Up Your Table
Each registered group receives one table and two folding chairs. You may begin setting up at 1:00 pm. The location of your table is assigned by the Fall Festival organizers.
The following items are allowed:
- Table cloths
- Literature displays
- Flags, banners
- Equipment that is relevant to your activity - i.e. lacrosse sticks for lacrosse club.
The following items are NOT allowed:
- POP-UP or EZ-UP CANOPY TENTS
- Amplified music of any kind, including small, battery-operated music players.
- Microphone or PA system for announcements.
- Unauthorized activities that go beyond the area around your table and disturb the groups around you.
- Tobacco Products
If you have an additional activity that is directly related to your group that falls outside these parameters, contact Fall Festival organizers for review and approval.
Access to the East Field House and Parking Lot #103
- We encourage you to walk to the event.
- However, if you have items that must be delivered by car, the service road will be open from 1:00 to 2:30 pm for DROP OFF only.
- Traffic will run one-way and you must enter from Hagar Drive by the Wellness Center.
- We suggest you have two or more people, one driver for the car, and the others to quickly unload and stay with the supplies while the driver takes the car to a parking lot.
After the Event
This is a huge event that takes a lot of coordination to make it happen. We appreciate your help and cooperation to work collectively all the way to the end, so we all can be proud of putting on a great event for the campus community.
Contact Info :
- Please fold up your table and two chairs at the end of the event and carry them to the designated location (TBA)
- LEAVE NO TRACE - please be sure to clean up your area, pick up all trash, even if it is not from your table.
- The service road will be open for vehicle access beginning at 6:00pm to pick up supplies. Please bring your supplies to the pick up area first, then bring in vehicle for quick loading and drive out.
Cori Houston, Fall Festival Coordinator,